Sunday, March 23, 2008

Ok, So Its an Easter Sermon that I start with

It isn't that significant that I start a blog at Easter. Easter week always gets me thinking. But I started thinking about it differently this year. I really looked at Easter through the eyes of a broken world.

It doesn't hurt that I just finished Walter Wink's "The Powers That Be." We often think of the people who killed Jesus, and more often than not the Jewish people were unfairly blamed. This is ridiculous...it wasn't the Jews, it wasn't the Christians, it wasn't even individual sin. What I believe killed Jesus was what Walter Wink calls the powers and principalities. That is, the systems and institutions we have set up as a society, and as nations. These are the governments, businesses, industries, and social instituitions like schools and churches that we have set up as a collective. The problem is they are flawed.

In a world that often runs on fears these flawed institutions hold onto power, resources, and bureaucracy, and none is immuned. These powers and principalities become corrupt at some level and can lead to heinous acts to preserve themselves. That brings me back to Jesus.

The power and principality called Rome killed Jesus. Jesus was a threat to the power, resources, and bureaucracy of the Roman governing system, not to mention religious powers as well. One called on the other to execute action that would ensure maintenance of the status quo. Jesus was a rebel. He dared to live out through action his voice of non-violence.

But I cannot only talk of Jesus' death on Easter Sunday without talking about his resurrection. Whether or not you believe in a bodily resurrection is of no consequence to me. Because regardless Jesus was resurrected. He lives within us. Everytime we take a stand against the status quo on behalf of those who are victims of violence, oppression, and ostracism there Jesus is. That Spirit....that willingness and strength to act against fear and helplessness comes to us. Alleluia. He is risen, risen indeed.

1 comment:

karen said...

Brava!
Welcome to the blogosphere, my friend.

He is Risen Indeed!
Triumphing over death AND fear.

Alleluia!