Monday, May 19, 2008

Finding Sophia

Does not wisdom call,
and does not understanding raise her voice?
On the heights, beside the way,
at the crossroads she takes her stand;
beside the gates in front of the town,
at the entrance of the portals she cries out:
"To you, O people, I call,
and my cry is to all that live."

(Remembering the Women, 298)


I love that wisdom and understanding are feminine. But even more, I like that she stands at the crossroads, that she raises her voice, that she seems to be everywhere.

And her message, her message is for all who live.

I just graduated from Claremont School of Theology this past weekend. Graduation often calls us to reflect on the years past and how they have been shaped. One thing I can say that I most definitely learned from seminary is "my voice."

I learned it in all kinds of ways. I learned it from Carol--- who believes that you can speak things into becoming. I learned it from Karen--who taught me the beauty and deep meaning of words as powerful truths to be expressed with both determination and care. I learned it from Sally as she gently set her voice free.

And I heard my own voice reflected back to me from many, many, friends and colleagues, so that I could hear it for the first time.

So in seminary I finally heard my voice. It is powerful...it has a lot to say...but I can't really say that it is my voice alone. It is more like a powerful force of the Spirit moving through me, crafting words that never would normally come out of my mouth. It is a weird and wonderful thing.

I think her name is Sophia.


1 comment:

karen said...

Weird and wonderful and beautiful.
Keep listening to that voice.
Keep sharing that voice.
Keep opening that voice to the movements and leadings and transforming wisdom of the Spirit.