Saturday, May 3, 2008

Just One More Reason

Just one more reason why our church should be open, affirming and accepting of the LGBTQ community.

I love medicine, so I frequently watch Discovery Health. I especially like the shows that depict live ER medicine. I guess I never quite left nursing in some ways.

On this show a woman was brought in who shot herself. She tried to commit suicide by shooting herself in the stomach. It didn't kill her, just brought her inward suffering to the surface. The bullet missed her aorta by centimeters.

Later in the show you see her family, and her priest praying over her. This is a young latina. And then the social worker asking her why she would try to kill herself. Her answer: She is a lesbian, a fact that her family cannot accept. Her family keeps hoping to pray this "SIN" away. The social worker does her best to convince the family that this is not possible. And I am left wondering how long this woman will suffer the angst of not being accepted as God created her.

I want to reach out to her and let her know that there are churches that believe that she is made in the image of God. That she is valued for the gifts she brings, as a woman, as a latina, as a lesbian. But I know that she suffers because these gifts seem like three strikes against her.
My shame is that the denomination that I belong to, that I minister with, cannot be a church I recommend where she will receive welcoming, healing, and acceptance.

I would personal embrace and defend this woman. I would accept her into my community and my church without condition.... .with the unconditional love God demands from us. She is me, I am her. One in the body of Christ. I am ashamed that my church cannot realize the oneness in Christ.

1 comment:

karen said...

There are so very many reasons why our church needs to open its arms to all and this is just one in millions of stories.

And it points to one of my chief reasons for wanting to see our denomination more affirming -- it impedes our ministry to all kinds of people in pain.

Thanks for these thoughtful words.