Thursday, June 26, 2008

Supreme Teacher

Have nothing to do with stupid and senseless controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kindly to everyone, an apt teacher, patient, correcting opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant that they will repent and come to know the truth, and that they may escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will.
2 Timothy 2: 23-26

I guess this means I can't hit people over the head either literally or figuratively. Ah, patience....it is so hard to come by. As I look toward next week and the start of my new ministry as Associate Pastor of a long standing traditional United Methodist Church, I know that there will be controversies, and things that make me want to bite my lip, or bite someone else.

This bit of wisdom reminds me to look at each situation and determine whether it is worth fighting for. What needs a gentle turn and patience and what needs to be prophetic. As a person who tends to be on the prophetic side, I must remember to walk with gentleness in order to turn peoples hearts.

In a church that is used to doing things a certain way, this is essential. How am I going to change their minds about including the "other". How am I going to teach them to see God in everyone, even those they don't understand or are at odds with? It's all teaching. I must take this advice given to Timothy as my own, and look at ignorance and hostility as teachable moments.


Supreme Teacher of all that is good,
Grace me with gentleness, patience, endurance
and fortitude to teach your people
about the love you have for all creatures
that unconditional love that we should
model as Jesus Christ did. Amen.

No comments: