Monday, September 8, 2008

He Who Crosses His Arms

I had seen this man at our church. He had come to Jim's service and then to mine a couple of times. He wanted to join, and so he entered my new member's class. I knew him, because he sat alone, because he held back, because he crossed his arms in front of his chest to protect himself. Yes, I had noticed him. And there he was in my class.

This class had 3 other people, a mother and daughter, and a recovering alcoholic. I had them introduce themselves. He addressed where he was from and how he had been a United Methodist his whole life. The rest of us had come from other denominations, that we had rejected and had joined the United Methodist Church because of its acceptance.

It became obvious why he held back, when he told us he was a recovering alcoholic, lived in the local halfway house, had left children behind with an ex-wife.

After the introductions we went over the Missions and Values the church had passed just months before I had gotten there. They were statements to be proud of, and I went over each one. I got to the statement that spoke of ministry with families of all diversity. I explained that the statement included all families....the single family, the divorced family, the homosexual family, and that we were serious about diversity....and that Jim and I were going to hold the church to this value. I asked if anyone had any questions or comments.

He spoke up, and told us all that after the divorce, he began to live an alternative lifestyle. And that the church, the United Methodist Church he worshipped in ,didn't approve, and how he had moved on. I responded by saying that I welcomed him, and was glad that he shared and how his experience, all of our experience add to faith and ministry. I also told him that if anyone ever gave him problems about his lifestyle, (anything but grace and love) he was to come to Jim or I and that we would be there to support him.

I looked into the other's eyes and with seriousness, I told them that as part of being members they were to uphold these values, and that if they saw anyone treating others with less than grace and love they were to act responsibly as members by speaking out against it. Reminding others of the values of the community they belonged to.

They nodded. The session continued, and as we said our goodbyes. One of the women took the man into her arms and embraced him with tears in her eyes. She had been accepted and knew that he would be accepted too.

The remarkable thing about this story is that before Jim and I came to this church it was known as the most conservative United Methodist Church in the valley. The senior pastor before us was part of the confessing movement, and the church has had an anti-homosexual group supported by pastors meeting there for years. And yet, the Spirit, she moves. Before we came, already a movement had begun. The Spirit began moving among a few members to change the missions and values and prepare the way for us.

This is my call. My call has always been to heal the damage the church has done to its people. The damage done to those within its walls and without. The damage done by hateful words, exclusionary behavior, isolation, inaction, and outright victimization. I wondered why I was called to this church. My first charge and so much damage to be undone.

But he, he reminds me why I am here. He, with crossed arms who sits with a critical eye of the church he once loved. Him, Jesus Christ revealed.

I

2 comments:

karen said...

Beautiful.
Such a Spirit-led encounter.
Such affirmation of call.
Such beautiful ministry.

Thanks be to God.

Kelli said...

Jeri, I am blessed to know such a strong woman as you who fights for inclusion. Your story brought tears to my eyes--not an easy thing to do! God is pretty funny when it comes to calls and charges isn't she? I think the Spirit must urge God on in this regard.

Blessings.