Monday, September 15, 2008

Mi Familia

Family is such a meaningful and sometimes difficult word. Today in Spanish class we were learning the words for relationships in a family. This made me very lonely. We were asked to describe our families to one another. We were to talk about our mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers, children.

As I described and thought of these people I became saddened and felt lonely.

Mi madre--Mi madre es muerte. Nothing else to say. I haven't learned yet how to say she was funny. She was red haired. We haven't gotten to was....we're just in the present.

Mi hermano--Mi hermano es simpatico. But we don't have a very close relationship since we grew up. There is some satisfaction in knowing that he is always there if I need him.

Mis abuelos son muertes. All of them.

Mi esposo-- Estoy divorciada. Enough said.

Mis ninos- Son fuertes de las corazones. Their hearts are strong, but I know they hurt.

Mi padre--I just told him Estoy divorciada.

That's my Spanish lesson for today. Mi familia. There are great and wonderful descriptions about them that I can share. Great memories. But unfortunately describing family also evokes difficult times and circumstances.

And yet that is the nature of family. Families go through difficult times, but they're still family.

And I am grateful for the family I do have....relatives and others that I have adopted as my own.
And I am grateful for my church family....though they drive me crazy sometimes.
I am grateful for todo mi familia.

2 comments:

karen said...

Mi hermana, tambien yo soy su familia, siempre.

I understand that loneliness, and I remember feeling the same longing for closer family connections on that very same day in Spanish class eight or nine years ago. And I had far less going on than you.

It's my joy to be a part of your adopted family.

Now, as a member of your church family, I need to let you know that this preaches. And, I'm preaching Sunday on "Family Sunday" at Erika's church. If the Spirit so moves, may I share your story, mi hermana?

Jeri said...

Si, hermana Karen.