Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Unraveling the stitches

Grief upon grief....so much sadness, there aren't enough tears.

Tears for my mother....for all her pain, for all her sadness. For all that she wished she could be. For all the sacrifice she made to make others happy while she fell deeper into lowness and anger.

Tears for what could've been. For choices that I made to compromise. And now I hurt others, hurt myself, loving what could have been, that wasn't meant for me. Knowing I have caused damage to people I love.

Grief upon grief. Bitter tears and little hope. Chances taken that I could become the daughter my mother hoped for, to live the life she dreamed of. And now, she is gone, and my life unravels thread by thread, the picture of my life dissolving from my eyes. That picture was never knotted, never firm, always ready to be unraveled. And so it does. There the canvas is bared
to be threaded again.

This time will there be knots to hold everything in place? A firm foundation on which to build a life?

But then there are threads that can never be pulled. The remainders, firmly knotted, interwoven within the canvas. There remains the foundation that has been created, on which to build. Nurture those threads. And grieve for the others, as the work begins anew.

2 comments:

karen said...

How could I have missed this post until now?

I understand your sense of unraveling. I remember it for me after Dad's death, in different ways and for different reasons.

I'm so sorry for your pain, yet so glad I have seen you since you wrote these words.

I know the grief comes in waves. I'm glad I've seen some happiness in you since these words were written, but I also know there have been other waves.

I know you were using a canvas image, but you can thread waves, too. Want me to bring you a surf board?

Peace, friend.

Orangeblossoms said...

This is so beautiful. I am so sorry for your loss. And, I am deeply glad to have met you yesterday. Peace.